WASHINGTON, July 25, 2018--The prize list for the 2018 Washington International Horse Show (WIHS), which will celebrate its 60th anniversary from October 23-28 at Capital One Arena in downtown Washington, D.C., is now available online.
WIHS will continue a longstanding tradition as one of the world's most cherished indoor horse shows in 2018, again hosting the Longines FEI Jumping World CupTM Washington presented by Events DC with coveted qualifying points on offer for the 2019 Longines FEI Jumping World CupTM Final taking place inGöteborg, Sweden, in April. WIHS will welcome qualified hunter, jumper, equitation, and pony riders from across the nation and celebrate year-end titles.
"Sixty years is a milestone that we at WIHS have been looking forward to celebrating for some time," said Victoria Lowell, WIHS President. "Winning a ribbon at WIHS is a momentous event for any rider and we are excited to make it even more special this year as we celebrate this anniversary. We are proud to welcome more than 26,000 spectators, pay out over $500,000 in prize money, and encourage the equestrian community to experience urban horse showing at its best in the heart of our nation's capital city."
In addition to some of the world's top riders and rising stars from within North America, WIHS management has prepared an a-list lineup of judges and officials for the 2018 event. Headlining the list is two-time U.S. Olympic team silver medalist Anne Kursinski, who will judge the coveted Lindsay Maxwell Charitable Foundation WIHS Equitation Finals.
"WIHS is a very exciting horse show because of its history, prestige, location in the heart of the city, and because of the fact that you have to earn your way to get to Washington by qualifying," said Kursinski, who competed for her country as part of the United States Equestrian Team in Nations' Cup competition at WIHS. "Specifically, the WIHS Equitation Finals is unlike any other in the country.
"It's exciting to judge the class, but it also gives me an opportunity to look at the bigger picture," continued Kursinski, who is the Chef d'Equipe for the U.S. Show Jumping Development program. "Seeing the development of riders from the junior level all the way through to the selection of our WEG team is a lot of fun. That's where Washington plays a great role; there I can watch the next generation of riders who will likely go on to ride for the U.S. team."
The prize list cover features 2017 Longines FEI Jumping World CupTM Washington winner
Beat Mändeli (SUI) and Dsarie painted by WIHS Official Artist Sharon Lynn Campbell.
WIHS Prize List Now Available Online
Download the 2018 Official WIHS Prize List and enter today. Online entries are strongly encouraged at www.showmanagementsystem.com. Entries completed online will receive a $25 credit.
- Visit wihs.org for event and schedule information
- Entries close Tuesday, Sept. 4.
Prize Money & Cash Bonuses
Prize money of $518,000 will be awarded throughout the week, including the following special cash bonuses:
- $10,000 to the Leading International Jumper rider
- $10,000 to the Leading International Jumper rider 25 years of age or younger
- $5,000 to the Leading Professional Hunter rider
- $20,000 Young Jumper Championship Incentive Program
Judges and Officials
- Technical Coordinator: Joseph Carnicom of Toledo, OH
- Course Designers: Olaf Petersen Jr. (Jumper) of Munich, Germany, and Alan Lohman (Hunter) Poolesville, MD
- Hunter/Equitation Judges: Brian Lenehan of Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Mike Rosser of Southern Pines, NC, Steve Wall of Pinehurst, NC, and Anne Kursinski (Equitation) of Frenchtown, NJ
- Jumper Ground Jury: Ralph Alfano, (President) of Wellington, FL, Neil O'Connor of Southampton, NY, and Foreign Member TBA
- Footing Specialist: Karsten Koch (FEI, The Footing Firm) of Bremen, Germany
- Stewards: Dan Reed (FEI Chief Steward) of Batavia, OH, Donna Rocchetti (USEF) of Falls, PA, Rich Herrera (PGEC) of Wellington, FL, and Glena Wirtanen (USEF) of Phoenix, MD
- Schooling Supervisors/Assistant FEI Stewards: Maria Biancone of Roseland, NJ, Jean Bonsall of Saranac Lake, NY, Shawn Frazer of Huntersville, NC, Peter Lane of Wellington, FL, and Mary O'Connor of Southampton, NY
Complimentary Exhibitor Hospitality
- The Aon Club Exhibitors Lounge presented by Joe Norick, 4am-4pm daily, serving breakfast and lunch.
- After-parties offering food and beverage, Thursday at Irish Channel Pub and Friday at Oyamel, presented by ThinkFood Group.
- Welcome breakfasts on the Lugano Club Ringside Dining Platform Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
Hospitality & Sponsorship Options at All Levels
- Tables for eight guests on WIHS' Ringside Dining Clubs and tables for four guests in the skybox level PwC Club (both offering dinner and drinks nightly) are available for purchase as part of sponsorships.
- WIHS offers sponsorship and hospitality packages featuring tables on our custom-built ringside dining clubs and in the sky box-level PwC Club, as well as tickets to evening social events. Sponsorships are tax-deductible less the value of goods received and are available at all levels with a wide range of benefits and amenities. For details on personal and corporate partnership options, contact Mary Helen Shaughnessy, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit www.wihs.org, join us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.
For more information on WIHS, please visit www.wihs.org, join us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat. Tag us using #WIHSTurns60, #WIHS2018 #HorsesInTheCity, #FEIWorldCup, and #Longines.
About Washington International Horse Show
Established in 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is one of North America's most prestigious and entertaining equestrian events attracting more than 26,000 spectators annually to Washington, D.C., for Olympic-level competition plus community and charity events. More than 500 top horses and riders arrive from all over the globe to jump for more than a half a million dollars in prize money. Highlights include the $135,000 Longines FEI World Cup™ Jumping Washington for the President's Cup, presented by Events DC, the $25,000 Puissance high jump, presented by The Boeing Company, the $50,000 Speed Final on Military Night, and Kids' Day, a free, fun and educational community event. WIHS, an official USEF Heritage Competition, is rated CSI4*-W by the Fédération Equestre Internationale, the world governing body for horse sports. The Washington International Horse Show Association, Ltd. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization based in Washington, D.C. Visit us at www.wihs.org.