The 2016 WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Championship will be held Oct. 21-23 at Prince George's Equestrian Center in Upper Marlboro, MD. The USHJA Zone 3 Championship will take place on Sunday, Oct. 23.
> The 2016 Prize List will be posted online and mailed in late August.
> Online entries will be accepted on Horseshowing.com.
> The nomination form for the Fifth Annual Laura Pickett Award will be posted online in August.
- The MHSA Gittings Horsemanship Finals featured class on Friday at 6:00 pm
- Children's and Adult Jumpers offered as qualifying classes for the WIHS Jumper Championships at Verizon Center, Wed., Oct. 21
- Fourth Annual Laura Pickett Award for Excellence in Horsemanship
- Grand championships awarded for Children's and Adult Hunter and Children's Hunter Ponies
- Ice Cream Social on Friday Night and Pizza Party on Saturday! Open to all exhibitors.
- Qualify to compete in WIHS Regional Hunter Finals at Verizon Center on Sunday.
New in 2015, the Regional Horse Show hosted a Shetland Pony Steeplechase Race on Friday, Oct. 16 at 5:00 pm. in the indoor arena. Fans came to cheer on their favorite ponies and jockeys in an exciting qualifying event for the 2015 WIHS Shetland Pony Steeplechase Championship Series presented by Charles Owen. The top finishers competed in the finals at WIHS at Verizon Center on Thursday, Oct. 22 (Barn Night) and Saturday, Oct. 24 (Grand Prix Night)
The Laura Pickett Excellence in Horsemanship Award
Introduced in 2012 in memory of Laura Pickett, a very special local equestrian and trainer, the award will be presented to an up-and-coming adult or child rider and their trainer competing at the WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Championship, who best exhibit the enthusiasm, dedication, style and commitment to excellence in horsemanship that brings out the best in horse and rider. The Laura Pickett Excellence in Horsemanship Award is presented by Vicki Lowell. The 2014 and 2015 winners received a pair of custom boots courtesy of Fabbri Boots.
Nominees are designated by wearing a pink armband and are judged both in and out of the show ring. The winner is chosen by committee and is notified Sunday. The winner and family are invited to attend WIHS at Verizon Center on Thursday night for the presentation held during Barn Night.
Past Winners (Rider / Trainer)
2015 Bailey Austin Doloff / Dorna Taintor
2014 Louise Whitner / Marti Bigler
2013 Morgan Bland / Chris Wynne
2012 Mary Elizabeth Cordia / Jenny Graham
- WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Finals Prize List
- Directions to Prince George's Equestrian Center
- Show Manager: Tom Blankenship, Westfield, IN
- Stabling Manager: Paul Jewell, Pennington, NJ
- Show Secretary: Beverly Abbott, BevAbbott2575@gmail.com, 410-259-2575; and Julie Agar
- Show Approvals: USHJA, USEF, MHSA, VHSA
- Official Show Photographer: Shawn McMillen Photography,
- Official Show Videographer: EquestrianGameTape.com, 410-812-1029
- Hotels: Equestrian Travel, www.equestriantravel.com,
404-844-4404, link to Hotel Reservations
For additional hotel options, contact Equestrian Travel direct:
Monday – Friday, 6am – 5pm (PST), 855-GO-GALLUP ( 855-464-2556)