56th Annual Washington International Horse Show
October 21-26, 2014 (Tuesday-Sunday)
Horse-crazy or not, if you like championship sport and fast-paced entertainment and fun, this is the event for you.
An equestrian tradition since 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is the country's leading metropolitan indoor horse show. Each October more than 500 of the top national and international horses and riders, including Olympic veterans, come together in Washington, DC, to compete in six days of thrilling competition.
Highlights include the $125,000 President's Cup Grand Prix, the Puissance high-jump competition and the Hermès WIHS Equitation Finals featuring the country's top junior riders. Kids' Day, Barn Night, special exhibitions and boutique shopping round out this family-friendly event.
Since its debut, the Washington International has been a Washington institution attended by presidents, first ladies, celebrities, business and military leaders, as well as countless horse enthusiasts of all ages.
Washington International Horse Show Association, Ltd. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization headquartered in Washington, DC.
601 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004 (corner of 7th and F Streets, NW)
Verizon Center is the home of the Washington International since 2000, as well as professional and college sports teams including the Wizards (NBA), the Capitals (NHL), the Mystics (WNBA) and the Georgetown Hoyas, as well as concerts, family shows and sporting events.
Getting To the Show
Take Metrorail or Metrobus to the "Gallery Place-Chinatown" stop for an easy trip to the show. The Metro station is located below Verizon Center. Directions to Verizon Center.
- Tuesday evening: High Performance Hunters and WIHS Adult Hunter Championships
- Wednesday evening: WIHS Adult Jumper Championships and the first international and open jumper class of the week
$10,000 International Open Jumper (TFJO)
- Thursday evening: Barn Night featuring the $20,000 Gamblers Choice Costume Class, Shetland Pony Steeplechase, autograph session and lots more
$10,000 International Open Jumper (TFJO)
- Friday evening: Military Night presented by The Boeing Company featuring the $25,000 Puissance (high-jump), the Caisson Platoon and the USMC Silent Drill Team
- Saturday evening: featuring the $125,000 President's Cup Grand Prix, presented by Events DC, and the Hermès WIHS Equitation Finals, with the National's Racing Presidents, Celebrity Barrel Racing and Terrier Racing
- Friday/Saturday: Hermès WIHS Equitation Finals (hunter and jumper phases)
- Saturday: Kids' Day (10 am-2 pm), a free, fun family-friendly event
- Sunday: Pony Hunters, Pony Equitation, WIHS Regional Hunter Finals
For a daily schedule of events, see Event Schedule.Plus!
- Entertaining exhibitions
- Silent Auction
- Shopping in more than 50 specialty boutiques, many with an equestrian flair
Tickets go on sale in August and are available through Ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Tickets also may be purchased in person at the Verizon Center Box Office. For information about Verizon Center accessible seating and services, call 202-661-5061 or 202-661-5065 (TTY).
Children 12 and under are admitted free to all daytime performances before 5pm.
Groups: Organize a group outing to the show with your barn, club, team, school, church, or group of friends. For Group Ticket Sales, contact Verizon Center Group Sales Department at 202-661-5061. Group Sales can assist you with ticket discounts, special seating arrangements and personalized service.
Barn Night (Thursday) is a special group night with contests and prizes geared to groups with an equestrian focus.
Two performances daily except Sunday (ending times approximate). See Event Schedule for daily schedule of events.
- Day (Tues-Sat): Tues: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Evening: (Tues-Sat): 7:00 -10:00 pm
- Sunday 7:00 am - 4:00 pm
Enjoy fine dining while you witness world class equestrian competition in one of the greatest cities in the world. WIHS offers VIP ringside dining on specially built platforms overlooking the arena as well as in the sky-box level Acela Club, all offer great food and wonderful views of the action in the ring. For more information about dining opportunities, contact Nickey Meyer at Nicky@wihs.org or 202.525.3679
Special Historic Moments
Over the years, notable guests included Alice Roosevelt Longworth, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, President John F. Kennedy, President Gerald R. Ford, General William Westmoreland, Christopher Reeve, John Cleese, Bruce Springsteen, William Shatner, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Arthur Godfrey and many more.
Show memories abound, including in 1970, a carriage marathon with horse-drawn vehicles parading to the White House to give Mrs. Nixon a carriage ride around the South Lawn of the Executive Mansion.
The standing North American indoor Puissance (high jump) record of 7 feet 7 1/2 inches was set at Washington in 1983 by Anthony D'Ambrosio and Sweet N' Low.
Leading horsemen and horsewomen inducted into the WIHS Hall of Fame since it was established in 1997: George H. Morris (1997), William C. Steinkraus (1998), Mrs. Jane Dillon (1999), Kenneth and Sallie Wheeler (2000), Austin H. Kiplinger (2001), H. Fenwick Kollock (2002), Sheila C. Johnson (2007), Miss Mignon C. Smith (2008), Betty Oare (2009) and Hermen Greenberg (2009).