56th Annual Washington International Horse Show
October 21-26, 2014 (Tuesday-Sunday)
Horse-crazy or not, if you like championship sport and fast-paced entertainment and fun, this is the event for you.
An equestrian tradition since 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is the country's leading metropolitan indoor horse show. Each October more than 500 of the top national and international horses and riders, including Olympic veterans, come together in Washington, DC, to compete in six days of thrilling competition.
Highlights include the $125,000 President's Cup Grand Prix, presented by Events DC (a World Cup
qualifier), The Boeing Company Puissance high-jump competition and the WIHS Equitation Finals featuring the country's top junior riders. Kids' Day, Barn Night, Shetland Pony Steeplechase, special exhibitions, community activities and boutique shopping round out this family-friendly event.
Since its debut, the WIHS has been a Washington institution attended by presidents, first ladies, celebrities, military and business leaders, as well as countless horse enthusiasts of all ages.
Washington International Horse Show Association, Ltd. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization headquartered in Washington, DC.
Verizon Center, a state-of-the-art sports and event facility, has been home to the Washington International since 2000, as well as professional and college sports teams including the Wizards (NBA), the Capitals (NHL), the Mystics (WNBA) and the Georgetown Hoyas, as well as concerts, family shows and sporting events.
- Tuesday: Professional and Amateur-Owner Hunter, WIHS Children's Hunter Championship
- Tuesday evening: High Performance Hunter and WIHS Adult Hunter Championship
- Wedenesday: Professional and Amateur-Owner Hunter, WIHS Children's Jumper Championship
- Wednesday evening: WIHS Adult Jumper Championship, $10,000 International Jumper class
- Thursday: Junior Hunter, Low Junior/Amateur-Owner Jumper, $34,000 International Jumper Welcome Stake
$10,000 International Open Jumper (TFJO)
- Thursday evening, Barn Night: High Junior/Amateur Owner Jumper, $20,000 Gamblers Choice Costume Class, Shetland Pony Steeplechase, autograph session, contests and more
$10,000 International Open Jumper (TFJO)
- Friday: Junior Hunter, WIHS Equitation Final (Hunter Phase), Low Junior/Amateur-Owner Jumper, High Junior/Amateur-Owner Jumper
- Friday evening, Military Night presented by The Boeing Company: $50,000 International Jumper Speed Final, $25,000 International Jumper Puissance (high-jump), exhibition
- Saturday (Kids' Day, (10 am-2 pm); Pony Hunter, Low Junior/Amateur-Owner Jumper Classic, SJHOF High Junior/Amateur-Owner Jumper Classic, WIHS Equitation Final (jumper phase)
- Saturday evening: $125,000 President's Cup Grand Prix, presented by Events DC, and the WIHS Equitation Final Work-Off, National's Racing Presidents, Celebrity Barrel Racing and Terrier Racing
- Sunday: Pony Hunters, Pony Equitation, WIHS Regional Horse Show Hunter Finals
- Entertaining exhibitions
- Silent Auction
- Shopping in more than 50 specialty boutiques, many with an equestrian flair
Follow The Washington International Horse Show on social media and keep currrent with the latest news and information about the show, our partners and sponsors. We track top riders and up-and-comers as they compete year-round en route to WIHS, and keep a keen eye on the the equestrian scene worldwide to share news, great photos and video from our partners and friends.
Tickets go on sale in mid August and are available through Ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Tickets also may be purchased in person at the Verizon Center Box Office. For information about Verizon Center accessible seating and services, call 202-661-5061 or 202-661-5065 (TTY).
Children 12 and under are admitted free to all daytime performances before 5pm.
Groups: Organize a group outing to the show with your barn, club, team or group of friends. For Group Ticket Sales, contact Verizon Center Group Sales Department at 202-661-5061. Group Sales can assist you with ticket discounts, special seating arrangements and personalized service. The minimum group size is 10.
Barn Night (Thursday) is a special group night with contests and prizes geared to groups with an equestrian focus.
Two performances daily except Sunday (ending times approximate).
- Day (Tues-Sat): Tues: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Evening: (Tues-Sat): 7:00 -10:00 pm
- Sunday 7:00 am - 4:00 pm
Enjoy fine dining while you watch world class equestrian competition in one of the greatest cities in the world. VIP ringside dining is available on two specially built platforms overlooking the arena and in the sky-box level Acela Club, both offering excellent food and wonderful views of the action in the ring. For more information about dining opportunities, contact Nicky Meyer at Nicky@wihs.org or 202.525.3679
Getting To the Show
Take Metrorail or Metrobus to the "Gallery Place-Chinatown" stop for an easy trip to the show. The Metro station is located below Verizon Center. Directions to Verizon Center.
Special Historic Moments
Over the years, notable guests included Alice Roosevelt Longworth, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, President John F. Kennedy, President Gerald R. Ford, General William Westmoreland, Christopher Reeve, John Cleese, Bruce Springsteen, William Shatner, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Arthur Godfrey and many more.
Show memories abound, including in 1970, a carriage marathon with horse-drawn vehicles parading to the White House to give Mrs. Nixon a carriage ride around the South Lawn of the Executive Mansion.
The standing North American indoor Puissance (high jump) record of 7 feet 7 1/2 inches was set at Washington in 1983 by Anthony D'Ambrosio and Sweet N' Low.
Leading horsemen and horsewomen inducted into the WIHS Hall of Fame since it was established in 1997: George H. Morris (1997), William C. Steinkraus (1998), Mrs. Jane Dillon (1999), Kenneth and Sallie Wheeler (2000), Austin H. Kiplinger (2001), H. Fenwick Kollock (2002), Sheila C. Johnson (2007), Miss Mignon C. Smith (2008), Betty Oare (2009) and Hermen Greenberg (2009).